Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What are packets on my internet connection and how does that effect my speed?

There are packets on my internet connection and the fewer there are the slower my connection. My real question is does this really effect my connection and how do I get them higher if I reset my connection? Do I even need to concern myself with them at all?What are packets on my internet connection and how does that effect my speed?
your packets do correlate to the speed of your net. but its hard to draw any conclusions from them. its not like you can change your packets to change the speed of your internet. theyre more like indicators, or something to look at to confirm a net problem. if you want a true net speed test.. try www.2wire.com or www.dslreports.com but as for trying to change or if you are having problems with you connection, try resetting your router or modem if you have them, and if not those.. its most likely the service provider. they can reset your connection if you call customer service.What are packets on my internet connection and how does that effect my speed?
Data is sent over the internet in';packets,'; small batches of data each of which a server sends by what it detects as the most efficient route at that instant. I believe that the max size can be adjusted, and if lowered it may speed things up.
';packets'; are the internet`s connection units of establishing if your connection is functional or not, the more tyou have the beter it is, meaning that if you have too few, specially at the ';received'; section, you may have a problem with your connection......it does not influente the speed of downloads or browsing.....it`s just a indicator for connection.
How to describe packets in lay terms....hmmmm. Let's see. If you think of the words you're going to put in a letter to you mom as the data bits, then each page becomes a byte. When you have several bytes, it's best to package them into an envelope, rather than try to send them one by one. Each packet will have a bit of overhead (think of your mom's address on the outside of the envelope, as well as your return address, and the postage stamp).


Data packets work much the same way. They have starting addresses, destination addresses, and cyclic redundancy checking (this is how each element in your transmission route makes sure the data is received correctly). Having fewer packets does not mean your connection speed is slower, it just indicates that your usage is less than optimal.


Think of a multi-lane highway, but take away the lane markers. How wide a load could you move down that road? If you're driving a Smart Car in a space that you could drive a triple-wide motor-home, then you're not utilizing all of the bandwidth available.


I hope this doesn't seem too simple or insulting...I just don't know your level of understanding.
all internet connections use packets the best and fastest internet is broadband ............ dial up goes to 56k........... dsl to like 500k and comcast goes to like 2 to 4 mb

No comments:

Post a Comment